About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public research university located in Blacksburg, Virginia, United States. Founded in 1872, it has grown to become one of the largest universities in Virginia with over 34,000 students enrolled in its undergraduate and graduate programmes. Apart from its main campus, there are six educational centres in the state along with a research centre in the Dominican Republic and a study abroad site in Switzerland.
The university is well-established in its research activities, particularly in areas such as cybersecurity, autonomous systems, and sustainable energy. Consequently, the university is part of the R1: Doctoral Universities. A student’s Virginia Tech admission introduces them to a diverse set of facilities like the Virginia Tech Diary Science Complex, the Hume Center for National Security and Technology, the Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech etc. In total, the university has a $522 million research portfolio.
The university has a strong tradition of community engagement, and students and faculty are involved in a variety of service initiatives, both locally and globally. Virginia Tech is also known for its vibrant campus life, with over 700 student organizations and numerous cultural and recreational events. The Hokies, Virginia Tech’s athletic teams, compete in the Atlantic Coast Conference and have a strong tradition in football, basketball, and other sports.
The graduate from Virginia Tech receives an average salary of $63,000 annually with around a 92% employment rate among the graduates. The university’s mesmerizing campus is situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and offers stunning views of the surrounding natural scenery. Virginia Tech’s constant strive to better itself is a fruitful endeavour as it is consistently ranked as one of the top public universities in the country.
Admission Deadlines 2023
Virginia Tech admission deadlines for undergraduate applicants revolve around an early decision, early action and a regular decision system. The deadlines have to be abided by so that the university and the student can have a streamlined process.
Early Decision: It is a binding plan which implies the applicant has to accept the offer of the university if selected.
Early Action: This is a non-binding plan and the student can still compare and select other university offers. The student can enjoy the benefit of time with this one.
Regular Decision: This is a non-binding plan however the selection is done on a space-available basis.
The deadlines for graduate candidates are separated according to the four intakes Fall, Spring, Summer I, and Summer II. There could be department-specific deadlines too, so the applicant needs to double-check through the website or contact the university.
Deadlines for Undergraduate Applicants:
|Intakes||Application Deadline||Material Due||Notification||Reply Due|
|Early Decision||November 1st||November 18th||Mid-December||January 15th|
|Early Action||December 1st||December 17th||Late-February||May 1st|
|Regular Decision||January 15th||February 4th||Early-March||May 1st|
Deadlines for Postgraduate Applicants:
|Summer I||January 1st|
|Summer II||February 1st|
Eligibility Criteria For Virginia Tech Admission
The Virginia Tech admission requirements are quite direct but it is a highly-regarded institution in the United States, and as such, has stringent eligibility criteria for prospective students. The priority given here is to the elaborate application the student generates. The university does not consider letters of recommendation during the review. However, if the applicant has a momentous event to display they can do so on the application itself. The application exempts the need for an additional statement of purpose essay since there is a provision for it.
Undergraduate Entry Requirements
- Non-refundable application fee of $70
- Completed application
- Official academic transcript (Minimum GPA of 3.0)
- English proficiency tests (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, Duolingo)
- Standardized test scores are optional (Minimum scores SAT – 1210 – 1410, ACT – 26 to 30)
- Extracurricular, honours and talents certificates or displays
- Bank statement
- Passport copy
Graduate Entry Requirements
- A non-refundable application fee of $75.
- Completed application.
- Official transcripts (Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0)
- English proficiency test scores (IELTS, TOEFL).
- Standardized test scores if applicable (Minimum scores: GMAT – 600, GRE – 165).
- Two letters of recommendation from reputable sources
- Passport copy
MBA Entry Requirements
- Non-refundable application fees of $75.
- Scanned official transcripts (Minimum GPA of 3.0)
- Online interview.
- English proficiency test scores (IELTS, TOEFL).
- Standardized test scores if applicable (Minimum scores: GMAT – 600, GRE – 154)
- Letter of recommendation (One)
- Statement of purpose.
English Proficiency Test Scores
Virginia Tech’s admission process needs the student to take an English proficiency test. The university offers multiple test options such as TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, and Duolingo. All these tests provide a comprehensive analysis of an individual’s communication skills in writing, reading, listening and speaking. The below table provides the minimum cut-off the university would favour for admission for different degrees –
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum Test Scores|
|TOEFL iBT||80 (No section sub-score below 16)||90 (No section sub-score below 20)||90|
|IELTS||6.5 (No band below 6.5)||6.5||6.5|
A step-by-step application process for Virginia Tech admission is mentioned below most of which is done online.
Undergraduate Application Process:
- The application can be created either on the ‘Common App’ or the ‘Coalition App’.
- The student can create a new account using a username and password.
- Fill in the details on the application accurately and elaborately.
- Submit the application when filled in.
Graduate/MBA Application Process:
- Graduate/MBA applicants need to use the ‘Virginia Tech Graduate School Application Management’ which is accessible through the university website.
- Either create a new account or log into an existing one.
- Enter all the necessary details and any documents requested.
- Submit the application.
Part of Virginia Tech admission is a wide range of academic programmes across its 9 undergraduate colleges and 11 graduate schools, including engineering, business, agriculture, health sciences, and social sciences. The tuition fee for an international student averages about $34,000 for two semesters however this fee signifies the standard of education and facilities provided at Virginia. Some of the popular courses offered by the university –
- Master of Science [M.S] in Food Science and Technology
- Master of Science [M.S] in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Business Administration [M.B.A]
- Master of Science [M.S] in Business Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Master of Public Administration [M.P.A] Public Administration and Public Affairs
- Bachelor of Science [B.S] Criminology
- Bachelor of Business Administration [B.B.A] Accounting and Information Systems
- Bachelor of Architecture [B.Arch]
- Bachelor of Arts [B.A] Geography
- Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering
- Ph.D in Food Science and Technology
Course ranking of the year 2023 –
|US News & World Report||THE (Times Higher Education)|
|Engineering||#7 (Civil Engineering PG)||#78 (Engineering)|
|Humanities||NA||#301-400 (Arts & Humanities)|
|Medicine||#93-124 (Medical graduate school)||#251-300 (Clinical and Health)|
|Business||#39 (UG Business)||#301-400 (PG Business and Economics)|
|Computers||#20 (Computer – PG)||#95 (PG Computer Science)|
University Admission Decision
Just like any other university, Virginia Tech has a holistic yet meticulous reviewing process. The acceptance rate is around 64.9% but with the number of applicants that come in, Virginia Tech admission does get competitive. The university mainly focuses on two criteria, one being the academic review and the other being the personal review.
The academic review involves the assessment of the applicant’s transcripts, test scores, grades, English proficiency scores, etc. The personal review looks into the applicant’s achievements, leadership, extracurricular involvement, work experience, research etc. Even if the applicant lacks in one domain it can be overlooked if the overall profile is promising. The final decisions are taken by the graduate school before declaring it to the applicant.
Q1. What is the minimum GPA requirement for Virginia Tech admission?
The student needs to have a minimum of 3.96 GPA for a chance at admission.
Q2. What is Virginia Tech known for?
Mainly for its quality of education along with the beautiful campus and multitude of facilities.
Q3. Is it hard to get into Virginia Tech?
The university has an acceptance rate of 65% and with its high reputation, it is very selective of the candidates it selects.
Q4. What SAT score is required for Virginia Tech admission?
The SAT score required would be between 1180–1390.
Thank you for reading this blog. If you’d like to read more, check out our other blogs of interest –