- Cost of LivingCAD 25,944
- Tuition Fee FromCAD 10,284
- Country Rank#3
- Batch Strength31,581
- Global Diversity32%
- Gender Ratio59 : 41
A public research university located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, McGill University traces its roots back 201 years ago when it was founded by King George IV in 1821 by royal charter. Formerly known as McGill College and the University of McGill College, the university name was officially changed to its current name in 1885. The university is spread out over three campuses in Quebec with one in Ville-Marie, the second one in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue and the third campus in Gatineau. The university is ranked among the top-most universities in the country as well as around the globe.
The university is divided into eleven faculties and thirteen schools under which it provides courses and programmes at the undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels in a whopping 300 fields of study. Management, Medicine, Arts, Education, Science and Engineering are regarded as the university’s largest faculties. All its faculties are listed below.
- The Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Studies
- The Faculty of Arts
- School of Continuing Studies
- The Faculty of Dentistry
- The Faculty of Education
- The Faculty of Engineering
- The Faculty of Law
- Desautels Faculty of Management
- The Faculty of Medicine
- Schulich School of Music
- The Faculty of Religious Studies
- The Faculty of Science
McGill University’s academic affiliations include the Association of American Universities (AAU), the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC), the Association of Francophone Universities (AUF), the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS), the Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL), the Canadian Bureau of International Education (CBIE), the Office of Interuniversity Cooperation (BCI), the Canadian University Society for Intercollegiate Debate (CUSID), the Global University Leaders Forum (GULF), the University of the Arctic, the United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI), the Universities Research Association (URA) and U15.
The university boasts an impressive alumni network flourishing in many fields. It even includes a number of Nobel Laureates, Rhodes Scholars, Prime Ministers of Canada, Academy Award winners, and Emmy and Grammy Award winners among others. The university has a diverse student population owing to the fact that more than 30% of its students hail from over 150 countries across the world. The university has a competitive admissions policy with the McGill University acceptance rate being 47%.
|Year of Establishment
|Average Living Cost
|Montreal - Canada
|For Study Abroad Counselling
McGill University Ranking for 2024
QS World University Ranking 2024:McGill University has shown excellence by securing 49 spot on the global scale.
McGill can be found among Canada’s top 3 best universities and the world’s 50 best universities. A number of independent ranking bodies, education journals and research publications have touted it to be the best in terms of academics and research with its programmes in Medicine being especially noteworthy. Maclean’s ranked it as Canada’s best Medical/Doctoral university with McGill having held the rank for 17 consecutive years. It is also renowned for a number of things including quality of education, student satisfaction, a wide variety of programmes and an international outlook. Ranking bodies have given the university a high score in terms of international research reputation. It is regarded as #1 in Canada and among the best and most prestigious universities in the world. Some of the global and national McGill University rankings by educational publications and ranking bodies are mentioned below.
- #1 nationally - Maclean’s Best Medical/Doctoral Universities 2022
- #44 - Times World University Rankings 2022
- #23 globally - Times Higher Education Graduate Employability: Best Universities in Canada ranked by employers (2020)
- #67 - Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)/ Shanghai Rankings (2021)
Its subject-wise ranking conducted by QS World University Rankings for the year 2021 are listed below.
- #4 - Minerals and Mining Engineering
- #10 - Anatomy and Physiology
- #10 - Library and Information Management
- #14 - Linguistics
- #25 - Medicine
- #26 - Education
- #27 - English Langauge and Literature
- #28 - Environmental Sciences
- #28 - Earth and Marine Sciences
US News Ranks
McGill is set in a beautiful location with stunning scenery and spectacular architecture on its campuses. It is a delight for its students to be part of the university and partake in shared experiences with their counterparts. McGill even prides itself on world-class spaces, facilities and infrastructures for a truly global university experience. Some of the McGill University facilities are listed below.
- Experiential Learning: At McGill, they understand that learning and opportunities often present themselves outside of classroom doors. Hence, their experiential learning initiative is something students are urged to participate in during breaks or time off from classes. It can be an internship or another opportunity to work in a field you are looking to advance in or are simply interested in. The university has an impressive set of partners which present students with bright opportunities both while at and after university.
- Engage: The ENGAGE initiative at McGill is all about students participating in events, shows, and programmes hosted by the students and for the students. Students can partake in clubs, societies, associations, departmental groups, student media and research initiatives to make for a fulfilling and rewarding university experience.
- Study Abroad: McGill’s global approach extends to its study abroad programmes while students can pursue courses in different parts of the world while still being a student at McGill. This helps expand their horizons and encourages them to have global experiences while still being part of the McGill community.
- Sports: The athletics and recreation wing of the university is famous all throughout Canada for its world-class sports experiences. From recreational activities to high-performance sports, you can partake in athletics at the university at whatever level you deem fit for yourself. Students are thoroughly involved in sporting exercises at the campus.
McGill University Courses for 2024
McGill University Scholarship
Regardless of the programme you are studying, there are several scholarship opportunities provided by McGill University as well as other organisations. With so many scholarships available now, overseas students can greatly lower the financial burden of studying in a new country. You can apply for scholarships to study at the university through UniScholars. You can find the following types of scholarships based on your academic performance and financial situation:
- Merit-based scholarships
- Need-based scholarships
- Country-specific scholarships
- College-specific scholarships
- Student-specific scholarships
Most international students are obligated to show proof of sufficient funds in order to obtain a visa. While some students may have the opportunity to make use of scholarships, not all students cut the eligibility to get a scholarship or a grant. Moreover, not all scholarships cover 100% of your study abroad expenses. At such times, most students resort to acquiring education loans to avoid the financial hassles associated with studying at McGill University. For Indian students, UniCreds is the ideal education loan marketplace if you’re looking for low-interest rates and free consultation services!
McGill University Accommodation
There are several student housing options available for students planning to attend McGill University. You may select from a wide choice of affordable yet elegant student flats, halls of residence, studios, ensuites, and more! You have the option of staying on campus in the university halls of residence or a private residence. Because of their proximity to the university, on-campus housing options may be ideal; nevertheless, they tend to fill up fast and are more expensive.
UniAcco simplifies the process of finding student housing and offers a variety of options. As a result, students can select from a wide range of available student accommodations near the institute, such as luxury studios, en-suites, and shared apartments that are more inexpensive and student-friendly.
Cost of Living
For students studying at McGill University, it is always advisable to build a budget taking into account a variety of expenses such as accommodation, food, groceries, utilities, and transportation among others. This helps one manage your expenses effectively and put a cap on unnecessary expenditures. Following are the average living costs a student might incur while studying in Montreal, Quebec.
Expenses (per month)
Total Cost of Living with off-campus accommodation
Total Cost of Living with on-campus accommodation
McGill University Entry Requirements
There are certain eligibility criteria that a candidate must meet to gain admission to a higher educational institution.There are some overarching entry criteria that a candidate must meet to be eligible to apply to the university but other detailed requirements vary from course to course. With the acceptance rate of the university being a little competitive, students sometimes struggle to meet the entry criteria. The McGill University entry requirements also differ for undergraduate and postgraduate admissions which are further detailed below.
- A recognised higher secondary education qualification is required to apply for an undergraduate programme at the university. Minimum score requirements depend on the course.
- The accepted English language proficiency tests include TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB and the Pearson Test of English (PTE).
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institute is required to apply for a postgraduate programme. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for the university’s Master’s programmes.
- Standardised tests like GRE and GMAT are required for admission to certain courses.
- The accepted English language proficiency tests include IELTS, MELAB, TOEFL and PTE. A minimum overall band score of 7.0 (IELTS), and 94 (TOEFL) is required.
McGill University Fees
Tuition fees at a university are determined by whether you are a resident of the country or you are an international student. They are further classified as per the type of course and at what level you are pursuing the course. Tuition fees are just one component of a university’s fee structure with other components such as personal expenses, non-refundable application/admission fees, travel allowance, meals, and books and supplies. The McGill University fees for undergraduate and postgraduate international students are mentioned below.
- Undergraduate fees for international students are between CAD 60,000 AND CAD 70,000.
- Tuition fees for postgraduate international students are somewhere between CAD 10,000 and CAD 20,000.
McGill University Placements
The Internship and Student Affairs departments look into the employment opportunities of students after graduation. McGill University placements ensure that students leave the university having secured employment at a place that matches their qualifications, interests, aptitude, goals and vision. The university has fostered excellent relationships and forged strong alliances and partnerships with some of the biggest employers in every possible arena. This opens up a plethora of opportunities for students at the university to engage with employers and get placed in a job that matches their dream. The average salary of a McGill graduate ranges from CAD 90,000 to CAD 1,10,000 depending on the field in which one gains employment.