Nanyang Technological University
Jurong West, Singapore
- Cost of LivingS$ 32,596
- Tuition Fee FromS$ 17,548
- Country Rank#2
- Batch Strength23,951
- Global Diversity24%
- Gender Ratio48 : 52
The Nanyang Technological University, commonly abbreviated as NTU is a national research university in Singapore. The autonomous university was established 41 years ago in 1981 when it was known as the Nanyang Technological Institute. It was changed to NTU 31 years ago in 1991 and it is also the country’s second-oldest autonomous university. The university is among Asia’s and the world’s most prestigious and esteemed institutes of higher learning.
The university comprises a number of schools and colleges that provide a large number of courses in varied disciplines and fields of study. These courses are provided at the undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels. The schools and colleges at NTU are listed below.
- Nanyang Business School
- College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
- College of Engineering
- College of Science
- Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine
- Graduate College
- National Institute of Education
- S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies
The university also houses a number of research centres and institutes that specialise in a variety of fields of research and intensive study. It houses two Research Centres of Excellence (RCE).
- The Singapore Centre on Environmental Life Sciences Engineering (SCELSE)
- The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS)
The university’s academic affiliations include the Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU), the Washington Agreement (WA), the Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning (ASAIHL), the ASEAN University Network (AUN), the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the Global Alliance of Technological Universities and the University Alliance in Talented Education Development (UAiTED).
NTU welcomes students from nations all across the region as well as several nations from different parts of the world. This has resulted in a diverse mix of students at the university campus. Getting into the university is known to be quite competitive with the Nanyang Technological University’s acceptance rate being 36%. As a result, the admissions policy at the university is known to be quite strict.
Nanyang Technological University Ranking for 2024
NTU has been consistently ranked as among the best universities in the country, the region, as well as across the globe. The university has been consistently found in the top 50 best universities in the world and the top 5 universities in the region. NTU’s programmes in Engineering and Technology are known to be some of the best in the world. Other subject areas the university is highly known for include Social Sciences, Management, Natural Sciences, Arts and Humanities and International Studies. NTU was also the first university in Asia to be awarded the maximum five stars in the QS evaluation system in 2011. It is the only university in Singapore to have achieved this ranking. Some of the Nanyang Technological University rankings are listed as follows.
- #46 - Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2022)
- #81 - Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) (2021)
Some of its worldwide course-wise rankings by several international ranking bodies are listed below.
- #49 - Business and Economics (THE) (2022)
- #15 - Engineering and Technology (THE) (2022)
- #15 - Computer (THE) (2022)
- #64 - Life Sciences (THE) (2022)
- #31- Mathematics (QS) (2021)
- 101 - 125 - Arts and Humanities (THE) (2022)
US News Ranks
The university is known to have among the most beautiful university campuses in the world. It has been listed in the 10 Most Beautiful Universities in East Asia and a number of its buildings can be found in the Travel + Leisure report and the Times Higher Education report. The Learning Hub building called the Hive designed by British designer Thomas Heatherwick is known to be one of the most beautiful university buildings in the world.
NTU has additional campuses at Yunnan Garden and Novena. The Nanyang Technological University’s facilities are touted to be some of the best in the world with cutting-edge technology and state-of-the-art provisions. In addition, the university has several clubs and societies featuring a large number of areas which gives its students the opportunity to partake in exciting events and activities pertaining to their interests. Some of their other facilities include the following.
- Cognitive Neuroimaging Centre (CONIC)
- Facility for Analysis, Characterisation, Testing, and Simulation (FACTS)
- Nanyang Institute for Structural Biology (NISB)
- Nanyang Nanofabrication Centre (N2FC)
- High-Performance Computing Centre (CPCC)
- Cognition and Behavioural Sciences (COVE) laboratory
- NTU Centre of High Field NMR Spectroscopy and Imaging
- Hydraulics Lab
- Mechanics of Micro-Systems Lab
- Cell Biology Core Facility
- Membrane Technology among many others
Nanyang Technological University Courses for 2024
Nanyang Technological University Scholarship
Regardless of the programme you are studying, there are several scholarship opportunities provided by the Nanyang Technological University as well as other organisations. With so many scholarships available now, overseas students can greatly lower the financial burden of studying in a new country. You can apply for scholarships to study at the university through UniScholars. You can find the following types of scholarships based on your academic performance and financial situation:
- Merit-based scholarships
- Need-based scholarships
- Country-specific scholarships
- College-specific scholarships
- Student-specific scholarships
Most international students are obligated to show proof of sufficient funds in order to obtain a visa. While some students may have the opportunity to make use of scholarships, not all students cut the eligibility to get a scholarship or a grant. Moreover, not all scholarships cover 100% of your study abroad expenses. At such times, most students resort to acquiring education loans to avoid the financial hassles associated with studying at the Nanyang Technological University. For Indian students, UniCreds is the ideal education loan marketplace if you’re looking for low-interest rates and free consultation services!
Nanyang Technological University Accommodation
There are several student housing options available for students planning to attend the Nanyang Technological University. You may select from a wide choice of affordable yet elegant student flats, halls of residence, studios, ensuites, and more! You have the option of staying on campus in the university halls of residence or in a private residence. Because of their proximity to the university, on-campus housing options may be ideal; nevertheless, they tend to fill up fast and are more expensive.
UniAcco simplifies the process of finding student housing and offers a variety of options. As a result, students can select from a wide range of available student accommodations near the institute, such as luxury studios, en-suites, and shared apartments that are more inexpensive and student-friendly.
Cost of Living
There’s no doubt that Singapore is among the most expensive places to live in the world. The capital city of the country finds itself on numerous most expensive cities to call home in the world lists. While it promises a global experience like no other, students are always advised to effectively take charge of their finances due to the high cost of living in Singapore. University life is always turbulent with students having to be responsible for their finances. To help students gain a better understanding, below detailed are the various living costs a student might incur while studying at the Nanyang Technological University.
Expenses (Per Month)
Total Cost of Living with Off-Campus Accommodation
Total Cost of Living with On-Campus Accommodation
Nanyang Technological University Entry Requirements
These are essentially the eligibility requirements that help you gain admission to the Nanyang Technological University. The university has a fairly stringent acceptance rate making it a competitive university to get into. The entry requirements vary from course to course as well as from undergraduate to postgraduate levels. Below detailed are the Nanyang Technological University entry requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate admissions.
- Students have to present a recognised higher secondary education qualification that details the completion of a minimum of 12 years of general education. The minimum score requirements vary from course to course.
- Other additional standardised test requirements require either the SAT or ACT scores. A minimum score of 1250 (SAT) or a minimum composite score of 30 (ACT) is required.
- The accepted English language proficiency tests are TOEFL, IELTS, the Pearson Test of English (PTE) and C1 or C2. A minimum score of 100 (TOEFL) or a minimum overall band score of 6.5 (IELTS) is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in the relevant subject area(s) is required for postgraduate admissions. Also, a minimum of relevant two years of work experience is required for certain courses.
- GRE, GATE and GMAT are additional standardised test requirements.
- The accepted English language tests at the postgraduate level are TOEFL and IELTS.
Nanyang Technological University Fees
Tuition fees at an institute of higher education are determined by taking into account a number of factors. One of the most obvious determinants is what course a student wishes to take and the level at which they want to pursue the said course. Another significant factor that determined the tuition fees is whether the student classifies as a home or international student. The fees for international students are comparatively higher than those of home students. The Nanyang Technological University fees include other payables such as personal expenses, books and supplies, travel allowance, non-refundable admission/application fees and miscellaneous membership fees alongside tuition fees. The annual fees for a variety of their undergraduate programmes for international students are listed below.
- Accountancy: SGD 20,200
- Business and Computing: SGD 20,200
- Medicine: SGD 75,550
- Business and Computer Engineering: SGD 20,200
- Other undergraduate programmes: SGD 17,650
Nanyang Technological University Placements
While there is no separate department that deals with Nanyang Technological University’s placements, the university’s counsellors and professionals are known to put together a Job Fair each year that helps students engage with employers from different fields attached with some of the biggest organisations and corporations in the country as well as across the world. This helps students look for employment opportunities that match their interests, qualifications, aptitudes and short-term and long-term goals. The university is even known to have several branches of career development offices where students can avail of career coaching, networking, assessment centre training, and industry-specific consultations among others. The average salaries of NTU graduates in varied fields are discussed below.
- Financial Services: SGD 72,000 - SGD 86,000
- Law: SGD 78,000
- Management: SGD 81,000
- Healthcare: SGD 40,000