The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) in collaboration with Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER) invites applications for the ICMR Junior Research Fellowship 2020 from students with a postgraduate degree in basic science or in professional course. It is an initiative to aid students in pursuing PhD/Research programmes through the council's support. The selected students will receive a monthly fellowship of INR 31,000 along with other benefits.
A total of 150 fellowships would be awarded. The selected fellows will receive the following benefits:
- Monthly stipend of INR 31,000
- Yearly contingency grant of up to INR 20,000
- HRA and medical benefits
- After performance review post 2 years, the fellow may be awarded the Senior Research Fellowship (SRF)
The following documents are required to be uploaded along with the application:
- A detailed plan of proposed work
- Attested copies of certificates/degrees and mark sheets for each examination passed
- Certificate by the head of the institute in the specified format
- Bio-data of the guide/co-guide in the specified format
ICMR holds a national level examination for determining the eligibility of Indian national candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) through Indian Council of Medical Research. The final selection will be made on the basis of scores obtained by the candidates in the examination.
- The final selection of the applicants will be based on an aggregate of 55 % marks obtained in both the sections for General category and OBC and 50% for SC/ST and PWD category.
Terms and Conditions
- Total 150 Fellowships will be awarded out of which 120 are for the work in the field of biomedical sciences with special emphasis on Life Sciences and 30 fellowships will be for work with special emphasis on Social sciences.
- Two separate merit lists, first constituting of the candidates qualifying for life sciences and the second for those applicants who qualify for the social sciences will be made based on their performance in the test.
- The selected applicants will be permitted to enrol themselves for the PhD programme of any University recognized by the UGC/MCI.
- The JRF programme will though not have any connection with the PhD programme.
- The validity of the fellowship awarded to a candidate will be 6 months.
- The successful candidates will be notified by post. The list also will be available on the ICMR website.
- The test will consist of one paper comprising two sections of 2 hours duration.
- The test comprises the following streams:
- Aptitude test (common for all) - Section A
- Life Sciences - Section B
- Social Sciences - Section C
- The applicant may attempt questions in either of the two areas. Each sub-question of section B & C has 100 questions and the applicant is eligible to choose any 75 questions in the area of section B or C.
- Every question carries one mark and negative marking is applicable at the rate of 0.25 for each wrong answer.
This scholarship is closed for further applications. It is expected to be launched by April, 2021. You can follow this scholarship for further updates.
Meanwhile, browse our featured scholarships and other related scholarships while you wait for the launch of this scholarship.
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- Have an MSc/MA or an equivalent degree
- Have obtained a minimum of 55% marks (For General/OBC students) or 50% marks (For SC/ST/PwBD students) in their degree
- Not be more than 28 years of age as on 30 September 2020 (Relaxable up to 5 years for SC/ST/PwBD/Female candidates and 3 years for OBC candidates)
Note: Candidates appearing in the final year examination in 2019-20 session can also apply.
Follow the below steps to apply:
Step 1: Visit the link and read the fellowship instructions.
Step 2: Click on the online application link (Application starts from 27th April 2020).
Step 3: Fill in all required details attach all supporting documents.
Step 4: Complete the application form and submit.