MA in Journalism From University of Limerick

Program Overview

The global media industry has undergone a period of rapid transformation in recent times, with a parallel growth in public desire for high quality journalism. Being a good journalist in this context requires a nose for a story but also the ability to rapidly manage and produce audio visual, print and social media content.

A Journalism MA degree from UL will fully prepare you for life in a fast-paced digital newsroom. Bespoke MA in Journalism, News and MA in Journalism, Sport pathways ensure graduates have the basic skillsets required to do journalism, as well as specialised knowledge in their chosen field.



  Course Duration

12 Months

  Tuition Fee



IELTS: 6.5 TOEFL: 90


We can help you


MA in Journalism and Graduate Diploma in Journalism:

MA in Journalism full and part time (News and sports pathways) must satisfactorily complete all taught modules on the course before undertaking a supervised dissertation project, which includes Journalism work or Academic research options which is completed in the summer semester of year 1 (for full time) or year 2 (part time).

Those who wish to exit with a graduate diploma option can exit following completion of the taught modules only.

Applicants for the MA should normally possess a primary degree in any discipline with at least Second Class Honours Grade 2 (Primary degree: Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland). Applicants should have a high standard of written English. No previous experience in journalism is necessary. However, applicants who have had articles published, or experience in broadcasting should include this in the application. 

Tuition Fees

These are based on ResidencyCitizenship.

Review the three groups of criteria to determine your fee status as follows

  1. Residency
    • You must have been living in an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland for at least 3 of the 5 years before starting your course
  2. Citizenship
    • You must be a citizen of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland or have official refugee status


We can help you