Whether you are an undergraduate or a postgraduate student, New Zealand is a place where you can get excellent academic progression while fully concentrating on your studies. How? Many New Zealand scholarships for international students have opened doors for students overseas. The government of New Zealand has dedicated scholarships to prepare students to focus on their academics in order to help the society develop and grow.
Scholarships For International Students In New Zealand
New Zealand Government Scholarships
The New Zealand Government offers tertiary scholarships in New Zealand for international students. Students who want to study in their undergraduate or postgraduate studies in New Zealand may apply for this scholarship. With this scholarship, the New Zealand government aims to produce talented professionals that will eventually become contributing members of the society. As a result, your field of study, while applying for this scholarship, must align with the needs of your home country. The subjects may include agriculture, disaster risk management, private sector development, public sector development and more.
The scholarship is open to students from Asia, Africa, Pacific, Latin America, Caribbean as well as the commonwealth countries.
Eligibility for New Zealand Government Scholarships:
- To apply for this New Zealand fully fully funded scholarship, the candidate must be 18 years or older while applying.
- There is no upper age limit to apply for this scholarship, however, candidates who are within 40 years of age are preferred.
- You must comply with the terms and conditions of the New Zealand student visa requirements.
- Before applying for this scholarship, you must already choose your field of study and the course. There is no need for you to be enrolled into your course, however, you must meet the basic requirements of the university you are applying to.
- You must also prove you English proficiency by cracking English proficiency tests (EPTs) such as:
– TOEFL: Score of 90 on internet based with a writing score of 21.
– IELTS: Minimum band of 6.5 with no bands below 6.0
– PTE: Overall score of 58 with no communicative skill score less than 50.
– Cambridge Academic English: Overall score of 176 with no band less than 169.
- You must agree to return to your home country for a minimum period of 2 years. Here, you must agree to contribute to your country’s socio-economic development. This is required to meet the requirements of the New Zealand scholarships for international students.
- You will be a preferred candidate if you seek admission into a course that aligns with your field of work experience. You must also want to continue working in the same field after the completion of your course.
Want to know more about scholarships in New Zealand? Read: Everything To Know About New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships.
Book affordable housing with low-cost interest by clicking on the banners today!
The Victoria University of Wellington has made a number of Tongarewa scholarships in New Zealand for international students. This New Zealand scholarship for international students is for them to become all rounders’ in their fields of study . This is because, University of Wellington offers this scholarship to excellent students who also have a good extra curricular background. Victoria University of Wellington expects Tongarewan scholars to take part in extracurricular events and be ambassadors of the same.
This New Zealand scholarship for international students is available for foreign students who want to pursue their Bachelors or Masters at Victoria University of Wellington.
Eligibility for Tongarewa Scholarship:
- If you are applying for your first year for an undergraduate course or are seeking admissions into a postgraduate course.
- You should have already received a letter of acceptance from the university before applying for this scholarship.
- This should be your first time applying and studying at a New Zealand university.
- You must demonstrate academic excellence in your previous studies.
Value of Tongarewa Scholarship:
- This scholarship may range from NZD 5,000 to NZD 10,000
- The amount covers a partial tuition fee and is applicable only for 1 year of study.
- Tongarewa Scholars are guaranteed a student accommodation at the Halls of Residence. However, you must submit an application for accommodation for the same.
Looking to fund your education abroad? UniCreds has some tailormade solutions for you. Our seasoned education counsellors will guide you to find the perfect solution for an education loan.
International Student Excellence Scholarship
University of Auckland offers this scholarship. The scholarship is especially for those who are applying for a course in Bachelors or Masters. Students who are applying for a PG Diploma or a Masters of 120 points may also apply for this scholarship. With this scholarship, the University of Auckland aims to attract talented students from overseas to study at the university. This year, the university aims to award 50 international students.
Eligibility for International Student Excellence Scholarship (University of Auckland):
- You should at least have a grade point equivalent of 6.0 or above.
- Assessment will be done on academic excellence, your letter of recommendations and your letter of application.
- You must have studied in New Zealand before applying for this scholarship.
Value of this scholarship:
- 50 Biannual scholarships
- Each scholarship is valued at NZD 10,000 for postgraduate and undergraduate students.
- The scholarship amount is paid as a fee credit against the tuition fee.
First Year Undergraduate Scholarship
University of Canterbury offers undergraduate scholarships to talented students. This is a merit based scholarship for international students who want to pursue their Bachelors in University of Canterbury. Every year, the university offers 25 awards to undergraduates.
Eligibility for First Year UG Scholarship (University of Canterbury):
- Enrolled into an undergraduate course at University of Canterbury.
- Citizens of New Zealand and Australia are not eligible for this scholarship.
- They must crack the University-entry level qualification on or after 1st January. This undergraduate entry level qualification permits entry into University of Canterbury.
Value of this Scholarship:
- The scholarship may either amount to NZD 10,000, NZD 15,000 or NZD 20,000 for one year of study.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog on New Zealand Scholarships for International Students. Courier about more scholarships from around the world? The following may be of interest:
- PhD Scholarships In Australia
- Cheapest Universities in Europe for International Students
- Which Are The Best Scholarships in Japan?
Get Personalised Counselling Expert