Australia is a beautiful country with a strong economy and a relatively relaxed culture. A number of students prefer Australia as their study abroad destination because of the high quality education that it provides. There’s so much more to Australia than the kangaroos and koalas that we have all heard about. Graduates from Australian universities are highly sought after due to their well-recognised education system that allows them to grow academically, professionally, and personally. The friendly and laid back atmosphere created in Australia is what makes it an attractive destination for international students. Students believe that pursuing a postgraduate course in Australia would be the stepping stone towards their career ladder. There are a number of postgraduate scholarships in Australia offered by the government as well as the universities in order to increase the international student count. These scholarships are opportunities for students to judiciously utilise their time as well as their expenses during the course of their postgraduate studies.
Why Australia | Postgraduate Scholarships In Australia
Australia has always exceeded students’ expectations in terms of their education system, cultural diversity, high standards of living, and fast paced technology. It is recommended for students to understand why studying a postgraduate degree in Australia is beneficial for them. UniScholarz has put across a few such reasons explaining why Australia is the best study abroad destination for postgraduate studies.
- There are about 8 universities offering postgraduate studies in Australia that are ranked among the top 150 universities of the world. They represent academic excellence and have a world class reputation.
- Australian universities are known for accepting a number of international students into their universities and encourage and support them via student support services. More than 4,40,000 students have been accepted into these universities given the high quality of education.
- Australia provides a high quality of life to students with respect to their fantastic climate, the vast oceans and beaches, and the beautiful landscapes. Students have a number of places to explore and visit during their leisure hours.
- There are several postgraduate scholarships in Australia that are funded by the government and the educational institutions for students to make use of during their course of study.
- Students also have the choice to opt for the course of their choice from a broad range of courses in many fields including engineering and technology, accounting and finance, arts and literature, management, education, computer science and information technology.
- Australia also provides post work opportunities for their students which countries like the US do not offer in case the H1B Visa does not hold valid for the student turned employees anymore. This makes Australia the dream destination for students wishing to study their postgraduate studies.
Types Of Postgraduate Scholarships In Australia
Scholarships are awarded to students pursuing their postgraduate studies via two major sources:
- Government funded scholarships: The government of Australia ties up with different educational and funding organisations in order to promote studies in Australia. Most of the government-based scholarships are provided on merit. They usually cover the tuition fees and provide for other stipends and allowances depending upon the calibre, performance, portfolio and potential of the applicant.
- University funded scholarships: Australian universities have a high international population because of the massive support they provide to students in terms of scholarships, bursaries and other financial aids.
Postgraduate Scholarships In Australia: Government Funded Scholarships
Australian Awards Scholarships
The Australian government has taken an initiative to help students from the developing countries, particularly those from the Indo-Pacific region to undertake full time undergraduate or postgraduate studies in Australian universities and TAFE institutions. These merit-based postgraduate scholarships in Australia are available in multiple disciplines except the fields of flying aircraft, nuclear technology or military training.
This scholarship is administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and covers full tuition fees, return air travel, establishment allowance, contribution to living expenses, Overseas Student Health Cover, Introductory Academic Program fees and Pre-course English fees.
Destination Australia Scholarships
The Australian Government took up this initiative of providing postgraduate scholarships in Australia to Australian citizens as well as international students by establishing Destination Australia Scholarships. There are about 1000 awards that are awarded to students every year under this program. The main intention behind this program is to attract as many students as possible to study in the regional locations of Australia.
Every scholarship award under this program costs about $ 15,000 and supports the study and living expenses of the recipients.
This is one of the merit-based postgraduate scholarships in Australia that is highly competitive and awards domestic citizens as well as citizens from the Asia-Pacific, Middle East, Europe and Americas to undertake study, research and professional development in Australia. These awards include:
- Endeavour Postgraduate Awards
- Endeavour Australia Cheung Kong Research Fellowships
- Endeavour Research Fellowships
- Endeavour Executive Awards
- Endeavour Vocational Education and Training (VET) Awards
Successful applicants will be receiving a monthly stipend of 3,000 AUD in addition to travel allowances upto 3,000 AUD, establishment allowance of 2,000 AUD, health insurance and travel insurance.
Postgraduate Scholarships In Australia: University Funded Scholarships
The below table shows the list of some of the top universities in Australia that provide students with financial aids via different scholarship awards. These scholarships could either be partially funded or fully funded, depending on the course type, the academic excellence of the student, and their financial status.
|Macquarie University||Macquarie University International Scholarships||AUD $10,000|
|Griffith University||Griffith Remarkable Scholarships||50% of the tuition fees|
|University Of Sydney||Sydney Scholars India Equity Scholarships||AUD $60,000|
|Monash Business School||Monash MBA International Women in Leadership Scholarship||USD $16,679|
|University of Melbourne||University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarship||Varies|
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog on List Of Postgraduate Scholarships In Australia. If you are interested in knowing more about scholarships in Australia like the ones mentioned in this blog, check out the different scholarships available on UniScholarz and choose from a wide range of scholarships.
If you wish to know more, these blogs might be of interest: