The USA has been the preferred destination for international students because of its renowned higher-education programs. It is a host to few of the world’s top universities and attracts students from all over the world. International students who go to the US to pursue their higher studies prefer not to have the ‘wish I knew this before’ moment. That being said, going to the US requires a little bit of planning so that your stay there can be worthwhile. As new responsibilities start to kick in, you tend to start planning a little ahead in time so that there’s no rush in the end. To make your planning easier, here are a few top tips for international students in the US.
Tips For International Students In The US: Get A US Based Cell Phone/ Sim
One of the on priority tips for international students would be to get a US based cell phone. It is in their best interests to get a US based cell phone as soon as they land so that their means of communication gets easier. It is also suggested to preferably get a locally based phone in order to avoid having to pay huge phone bills while making international calls. There are three types of cell phone plans to choose from –
- You can buy a new US based cell phone and set up a prepaid plan. Sticking to your home cell plan and having to pay international bills by the minute can become expensive over the course of time.
- If you do not wish to buy a new cell phone, you can always stick to your phone and buy a new US based SIM card. However, keep in mind that most of the international phones are locked in the US.
- Setting up a contract plan on a US based cell phone could be another option. Contract plans last 2 years and require either a Social Security Number (SSN) or a credit check. This may be a hassle for international students if they are not able to provide for the necessary details.
Tips For International Students In The US: Open A Bank Account
Many international students tend to leave the task of opening a bank account as a last minute work. Why is opening a bank account a priority? Having a US bank account makes it easier for you to manage your finances and pay off your bills. It has its own set of benefits that will help international students in the long run. A few tips on the factors that are to be considered while opening a bank account are listed below.
- A thorough homework on the different banks that are available and what they have in store for the students is required. Once you have an idea about the different banks, you can compare the pros and cons and take a call accordingly.
- So as to avoid the trouble of having to take an Uber everytime you need some cash in hand, it would be easier to locate the banks available within the vicinity of your campus.
- On the basis of whether or not you want to extend your period of stay in the US in terms of working post your education, you can take a call between opting for a debit card or credit card. It is however recommended to go for a credit card especially when it comes to privacy and safety measures.
Tips For International Students In The US: Health Insurance Options
As an international student who has come to the US for a good education, the last thing that you would want on your head is to be paying for extra medical expenses. A major tip for international students would be to get health insurance. Having health insurance comes handy even though it is a choice for students in the US. Students tend to take health insurance for granted and this may take a toll on them. Even though a medical specialist will be available on campus itself, there could be times when you may want to visit a doctor. If you plan well and get your health insurance beforehand, you can rest assured knowing that you are covered.
Tips For International Students In The US: Plan Your Budget
Planning your budget involves considering a number of factors that will be affecting your finances. International students need to keep in mind that there are many other major expenses that they will be incurring aside from their education. A well planned budget is a great tip for international students in the US. It paves a hassle free lifestyle for students. An education loan will definitely help you financially in terms of covering your expenses. If you’re looking for an education loan, UniCreds will have you sorted. Since you are planning your budget much before time, your budget will also depend on the things you will be taking before moving abroad. Check out Things to Take to Uni: The Ultimate Moving Checklist to Study Abroad and create your checklist.
Tips For International Students In The US: Make Use Of The Official Campus Resources
Every campus has a body of international students that run programs offering guidelines on how to culturally mix up with the crowds. A smart tip for international students would be to make ample use of these resources at the earliest best so that they can get a hang of the American culture as well as different other cultures and not face a culture shock. Understanding and adapting to their culture is what makes their journey an adventure filled one.
We hope you liked reading this blog. You can find scholarships to provide for your finances on the UniScholars website. Simply sign up for free today and start applying to your dream scholarships. If you need assistance with student accommodation and education loan, head over to UniAcco and UniCreds respectively, today.